Friday, May 01, 2009

Kitchen gadgets.

Although things have improved since I first moved over to Australia, my kitchen is still pretty poorly equipped compared to most people I know. We have acquired such useful tools as measuring cups, a baking sheet, and a mixing bowl. We’ve even gotten some toys that aren’t found in a standard kitchen, like our bread maker, juicer and yogurt maker. But there are still a few things that I have been able to live without, even though they would be nice—a food processor (we make do with a stick blender), a rolling pin (old wine bottle!), etc.

But I’ve been thinking lately about expanding my culinary toolkit, and I’m leaning towards getting an electric mixer. Thus far I’ve been fine without it—my stirring muscles are pretty ripped. But it would make baking much easier... But this begs the question—should I get a stand mixer or a hand mixer? I can see the obvious pros and cons: the stand mixer is probably better quality but takes up counter space, whereas the hand mixer is more mobile. What do you prefer? And do you have any brand recommendations (either positive or negative)? Any advice would be very helpful, as Andy and I don’t like to buy things that are likely to suck or break quickly.

On an unrelated note, I have two more pictures from my Britain trip to post. The first is for Liz2, who asked a few weeks ago to see the “new” coat I mentioned. Well, I’ve finally gotten a picture of me in it (and my fuzzy pink scarf), taken on my friend Nick’s camera phone (as seen on Flight of the Conchords) while we were in Piccadilly Station waiting for our respective trains.

The other is a cool sticker I saw in Liverpool. I don’t really have any explanation for posting this, except that I like it.

12 comments:

DJ said...

Oooh, you're such a cutie! And do yourself a favour - buy a stand mixer - I have a perfectly respectable handheld mixer and whenever I use it, all I think - as I'm switching from one fatigued wrist to the other - is 'Damn!! Why didn't I buy myself a stand mixer?!!'

Sarah said...

Stand mixer. Kitchenaide. My mom has had hers since literally before I was born, and it still works. I know it's alot of money, but I think it would be worth it as you'd probably be keeping it forever.

Also, hand mixers are really annoying when you're trying to mix something in little by little. They're kinda unstable, so you have to hold the bowl with one hand and then use the mixer with the other. And then that doesn't really leave a hand to add your flour in with.

cristy said...

I've been wanting a stand mixer for ages now and wondering if a handheld one would do the trick, etc and so I will read all of your comments with interest.

The size and cost of the stand mixers is certainly a big drawback, but they are so tempting nonetheless...

Vaala ◪ said...

I've only ever had a hand mixer and found it fine. I got a top of the line Breville hand mixer last year for my birthday and it's been awesome. I've never used, or even seen, a stand mixer before so I can't really make a judgement though.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I love my stand mixer! I store mine on top of the refrigerator, so it's not taking up counter space.

Amy said...

I'm a kitchen appliance addict I'm embarrassed to say. We have one of almost everything and 2 of some things (I told you I was an addict :P).

I have an old pair of hand held mixers my Mum gave me. They work okay but they really only do cake and pudding batter and icing. They do it well though.

I guess it depends on what you want it for. I'd like a stand mixer (because of the addict thing :P) but I generally use my bread machine to knead for me and I think I wouldn't use a stand mixer much (I can't believe I just said that!)

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

I just went through a similiar dilemma when I splurged on a brand new Cuisinart food processor (worth every penny!). I ended up buying a Kitchenaide hand mixer. I found the hand mixer was a LOT cheaper than a stand mixer, so the hand mixer won out. It's been working fine, though it's crazy fast on it's lowest setting.

Also, I love your new coat!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

aw, not only do I love the coat, but your pink scarf of brightness, too! as for appliances... I don't have much experience with a stand mixer and I do like the portability (and small space-taking-up properties) of my hand mixer, but... I bet it's got it's benefits, too. Like big batches of cookies and kneading dough, hmm... well, I'm sure you'll choose right!

Anna said...

We have a Sunbeam hand mixer, but mostly just because we already have a Magimix food processor and weren't quite ready to splash out on a Kitchenaid. The one thing I'd say about a hand mixer is...it's great for lighter stuff (eg frosting, cake mix) but not so good for denser, heavier things. Even cookie dough can slow it down. Whereas if you get a good-quality stand mixer like the Kitchenaid, you can do everything and anything in it. And those things really do last forever-even in the tropics, as I know from Indo days. :)

Amy said...

I'm dying to buy a stand mixer for myself (and the hand mixer I bought 9 years ago is starting to fall apart). Have you seen the insanely cute pink ones?

Nice scarf!!!

the little one said...

I just have a hand mixer. It also only has one speed (fast), but a family member gave it to me and you and I are two peas in a pod about not buying new if you don't have to! Hence, the stand mixer is still something I'm doing without, but everyone tells me I need. Would be interested to hear what you think if you get one.

Wholesale kitchen gadget said...

I love my kitchen gadgets too, and am loathe to get rid of any of them. I know where that comes from....my mother :)