Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Nom.

More recent meals. We seem to be eating really well lately, with new recipes that are a hit and old favourites that turn out well, so I am collecting a backlog of photos. So I'll just put them up here without too much word-age from me...

Falafels (made from a just-add-water packet) with avocado. Bulgur salad with lemon juice, raw corn, loads of parsley, cucumber and green capsicum. And sesame-soy green beans and asparagus.

Mexican lasanga (aka "deconstructed enchiladas")--a mexican-ish sweet potato and bean mixture layered between tortillas and baked. Smashed potatoes, which didn't work out perfectly but were still yummy, method stolen from BrisVegan. Roasted garlicky green beans. And avocado-coriander salsa.
Twice baked potatoes. The filling is blended up potato and chickpeas with roasted nori, sauteed onion and spinach. Roasted garlicky green beans with cherry tomatoes. And in the back a salad of leafy lettuce, avocado, and raw corn. You can also see Andy impatiently stabbing away at a cherry tomato as I take my photo.

From La Dolce Vegan, 'Stuffed Cabbage Rolls'. I mostly followed this recipe, but subbed seitan for the mushrooms and sunflower seeds for the walnuts. Also, I doubled the recipe because Andy and I have huge appetites. These were really freaking good. The cumin-orange glazed sweet potatoes we served them with were only okay. Look at the steam!
During a seitan-making extravaganza, Andy wiped his hands on his bum, leaving floury fingerprints all over his boardies that I thought were cute...
For dessert one night I whipped up a half-recipe of Vegetation's mother-in-law's self-saucing choc pudding. This was the perfect amount for the two of us and the saucy chocolately goodness was the perfect end to a meal.
While we keep warm with oven food, Nacho keeps warm by napping next to the fishtank light. This sleep-spot has an added bonus--no need to go anywhere if she gets thirsty.

8 comments:

Bianca said...

Yum! That Mexican lasagna sounds amazing and so does that chocolate pudding stuff.

Nacho is too cute sleepin' on the fish tank, but I wonder how the fish feel about it...

Vaala ◪ said...

Oh man, that food looks SO good right now. I'm dying for something homecooked and wholesome right now. Moved out of my flat and am living out of a suitcase between various relatives until I find somewhere to live so no real chance to get in the kitchen and do any cooking.

shawna said...

i was JUST looking the stuffed cabbage rolls recipe in La Dolce Vegan as one of the possibilities for tonite's dinner to use up some of the massave amount of cabbage we got in our weekly vegie box. i'm convinced now (especially with the substitutions because i won't have to pick anything up on the way home with the substitutions).

Theresa said...

Bianca, luckily Nacho and the fishes mostly ignore each other. She is more interested in 'fishing' out the plants and dragging them around the house, or with dipping her paw in the water and licking it (or splashing water at me or Andy). Sometimes the big fish nips at her paw when she dips it in, which is pretty funny to watch. They have a funny relationship.

Vaala, you're always welcome to hop across the pond and come round for dinner!

Shawna, what did you think? Andy and I both *really* loved them, although it was a slightly time-consuming recipe.

Amy said...

I'm viewing this later than everyone else, so I'll keep it brief......
Nom!
Kitty!!!!!

Amy said...

I'm very definitely coming to your house to be fed! I've felt so uninspired lately but all your food looks fabulous!!!

I'm glad you liked the pudding :) I'll have to tell my Mum In Law, she'll be tickled pink that someone else made her pudding.

Millie said...

The food is fabulus. And I love the kittie.

BrisVegan said...

You have inspired me to try those cabbage rolls. They look great!