Wednesday, July 22, 2009

When life gives you capsicums...


Make capsicum-ade? Well, I suppose you could. Andy and I were presented with such an option when we scored a $10 box of local capsicums on our way back from Airlie Beach last week. We opted not to try capsicum-ade. So what do two people do with about five kilos of capsicums?

The first thing that we did was choose three for stuffing. I made a quick stuffing of bulgur, walnuts, and some veggies (also from Bowen) and filled up the cups. Then I spooned a bit of nooch sauce over the top and finished with a walnut for a classy garnish.

We’ve also been enjoying lots of capsicum side dishes...

To go with some of SusanV’s seitan ribz, we had a mix of sautéed Bowen zucchini and capsicum strips, and a salad of Bowen spinach, Bowen tomatoes, Bowen capsicum and olives.

Another capsicum-centric salad graced the side of this plate, of fava bean balls, roasted corn, and roasted veggies. Note the fresh dill from our garden, a wonderful addition to salad.

Even more capsicum and dill salad went alongside some mac’n’veggies’n’yeast. There is also some oil free garlic bread, made by spreading roasted garlic on some bread and toasting under the griller. This is amazingly yummy, and is possibly better than our usual butter and garlic creation.

Later in the week, Andy made another stuffed capsicum creation, and he stuffed some tomatoes while he was at it. The stuffing here was a blended navy bean mixture with sautéed onions, herbs, and capers. Topped with more nooch sauce, this was an interesting and yummy way to use up some veggies.

Finally, capsicum strips made a great addition to these sweet potato and black bean enchiladas.

If you're thinking to yourself, 'Well that doesn’t seem like 5 kilos worth of capsicum', you're right. We actually froze the majority of our bounty on the day we bought it. If you cut it beforehand, frozen capsicum is a quick and easy way to add a bit of pizzazz to a meal. I cut the capsicums variously into strips, chunks, and fine dice so we have plenty of choice in the next few weeks.

11 comments:

Gina said...

I was totally confused for a second...then I realized that you don't live around here and capsicums are peppers! Ok, now that I'm done feeling dumb (haha), I LOVE capsicum! You did so much fun stuff with it, yummy :)

Bianca said...

Whoa! That's a lot of pepper dishes!! How creative. Stuffed peppers are one of my favorite meals. And the noochy sauce on top looks delectable.

Amy said...

Wow! I knew you'd come up with some awesome capsicum creations and you certainly did! Yum!

steph said...

So many capsicums! Do they freeze well? I never think of freezing fresh veggies...

Theresa said...

Steph, they go a bit soft, like they do when they are cooked so they are no good if you want the crunchy raw capsicum texture but they are good to throw in for the last few minutes of cooking. We do the same thing with broccoli when it's cheap.

DJ said...

Those enchiladas look yum!!! Freezing capsicums is a great idea! And one day I'll be organised enough to do it! ;o)

Mihl said...

That reminds me of my dad. Years ago he brought 20 kg of his favourite yellow peppers back from Hungary...and filled the freezer to the top.
Peppers are one of my favourite vegetables, I love all the meals you made with them.

Anonymous said...

all the food you came up with in this post looks so hearty and delicious.

Anonymous said...

Frozen capsicum is a great addition to chili, too! If you get another great deal on capsicum you can roast them! I roast several red capscium at once, cool (in a covered bowl), peel, and freeze in 1/2 cup amounts. Then I use them for "cheeze" sauces such as this awesome nacho sauce: http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/10/nacho-cheese-dip.html

You can replace these roasted peppers in any cheeze recipe which calls for pimentos or roasted red peppers.

Vaala ◪ said...

Oooo, I adore capsicum! I think the yellow ones are my favourite. Loving your ideas here.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

capsicum-ade! *wipes tear from eye*