Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Risotto

Although risotto is a bit of a pain to make, I think it's generally worth it. As long as you get everything ready beforehand, there is no stress and just a zen-like state of stirring for 30 minutes or so. It's delicious, easy to pack full of veggies, and it impresses non-vegans pretty easily. It's also a good excuse to have a glass of wine, since the bottle has been opened anyways!

This risotto was flavoured with a delicate vegetable-mustard stock and some semillon sauvignon blanc. I added broccoli, zucchini, red capsicum and green peas for the last few minutes, and then right at the end I stirred though a mixture of tofutti cream cheese and mashed up roasted garlic, for a creamy garlicky finish. This risotto was really divine, served with a simple salad and a bread roll.

9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I'm still intimidated to make risotto, haha - yours looks SENSATIONAL and I admire your skills!!

Bianca said...

I've never made risotto and I'm not sure why. I think it's the white rice that freaks me out. I know Arborio gets all creamy...but I wish they made a brown version!

Stacy said...

i love a good risotto. there is a good one in veganomicon. pea and lemongrass or something. yours sounds great!

Vaala ◪ said...

That looks delicious...I like your idea of using cream cheese and garlic to get a creamy finish. I'd never thought of that.
Actually, what's the tofutti cream cheese like? One store has just started stocking it and I was wondering how it compared in taste and texture to other brands.

Susan said...

I love making risotto too. You're right, it is very zen just standing and stirring. I have never thought to stir through some cream cheese though! Sounds yummy.

Theresa said...

Vaala, I really love the tofutti cream cheese. It is *really* similar to the philadelphia-brand stuff I used to eat on bagels. I think it isn't the healthiest stuff--possibly a lot of tranfat?--and it's a bit dear, so we rarely buy it. But when we do, I have to restrain Andy from eating straight out of the tub!

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love risotto, it was the first vegan thing I ever (intentionally) made. I'm really into butternut squash risotto at the moment.

Amy said...

Damn that looks good. I love Tofutti cream cheeze myself. I choose to ignore the cost and buy it anyway!!!!

Groover said...

The secret to a good risotto is to wash the rice until no starch is coming out anymore (water is clear). I never have to stirr my risotto? I always just let it simmer and check a couple of times to make sure that it doesn't run dry. That's why I love making risottos - no work at all.

The best thing for left-over risotto: I make rice balls the next day.