Wednesday, February 01, 2012

WIP it.

I'm working on a few different crochet projects at the moment, so I thought I would join the Work in Progress Wednesday phenomenon, which started two years ago and I'm just doing for the first time now. I never claim to be at the front line of trends.

First up, we bought an ugly-as ceramic elephant from the second-hand shop, and I have plans to spray paint it some exciting colour. While I figure out what to do with that, I'm making a totally awesome, not-at-all-Nanna-like doily to sit underneath it.


I think the giraffes and the elephant will be friends. I hope they will, anyways.

The pattern for this comes from this ravelry pattern.

My second project was inspired by a book I got from the library called Bring Colour to Crochet by Renate Kirkpatrick. It has patterns for 64 different squares, which in the book are all put together into a single, very diverse throw rug. I liked the book so much I bought a copy to have for myself, because squares are a very useful thing. And I'm making a blanket, but not the same as in the book. Instead, I'll be repeating the same few squares and making a bit of a pattern of my own. First, I had to stock up on enough of each colour to finish the whole blanket.

And so far I have 6 finished squares (well, they mainly still need to be edged), and one about halfway done.

The thing I like about making a blanket from squares is that I don't have a big, half-done blanket all over my lap. If that was the case, I wouldn't be able to work on it until winter, because it has been pretty disgusting the last few weeks. Humid, hot, no-pants weather.

7 comments:

Hannah said...

That doily is AWESOMEPANTS. Trippy yet animal-happy. Yay!

Dee said...

I must get back to crocheting, I stopped about the same time you couldn't do it on airplanes anymore. Look out! Old gal with crotchet hook!
Just love the giraffes BTW

Emma said...

I love the little giraffes!

I have about a million and one projects I want to do. Perhaps I should start one of them :D

The colour combo you've picked is pretty awesome.

Kari said...

This is very impressive! I love the giraffes :)

Karine Fontaine said...

Wow this is so nice!! Are you shipping in Canada? :-)

Theresa said...

@Karine, I haven't sold anything I've made, but I suppose I could. Send me an email tropicalvegan@gmail.com if you are really interested :)

David J said...

Nice work! Not too sure about blue and green together but I love the giraffes! Strangely My daughter recently made a picture that looks a little similar.